Bushy Indoor Shrubs
1. Weeping Fig
Botanical Name: Ficus Benjamina
- Elongated, slender leaves
- Glossy, dark green
- Moderate to high
- Can be trained to be very bushy through regular pruning
These Indoor Shrubs boast a full canopy of slender, glossy leaves. Its dark green foliage adds a touch of sophistication and depth, making it a classic choice for interior design.
2. Lemon Tree
Botanical Name: Citrus × limon
- Oval leaves with slightly serrated edges
- Bright green
- Dwarf varieties suitable for indoors can be pruned to maintain bushiness
This plant with its bright green foliage and the bonus of fragrant blossoms and fruit. Its cheerful appearance makes it a centerpiece in any room, providing a tropical, inviting ambiance.
Botanical Name: Rhododendron
- Small, elliptical leaves
- Green to dark green, sometimes with red undertones
- Best when regularly pruned, especially after blooming
These Indoor Shrubs are renowned for their striking flowers, but their leaves also contribute to their beauty. The foliage serves as a dark green backdrop to their vivid blooms, resulting in an astonishing display of colors.
Botanical Name: Croton
- A variety of leaf shapes, often with vibrant colors
- Glossy texture
- Can be pruned to encourage bushier growth
The Croton plant is like a splash of paint in your indoor space. With its colorful, glossy leaves in shades of red, orange, yellow, and green, it serves as a living piece of art.
5. Norfolk Island Pine
Botanical Name: Araucaria heterophylla
- Needle-like leaves, clustered in a spiral fashion
- Soft green
- Low to moderate
- Not as bushy as other options but can be managed through selective pruning
These Indoor Shrubs offer a unique, softer take on the traditional pine tree, making it a popular choice during the holiday season. Its layered branches and soft, green needles evoke a sense of elegance and tranquility.
6. Song of India
Botanical Name: Dracaena reflexa
- Long, narrow leaves with yellow edges
- Bright green in the center
- Responds well to pruning, encouraging new shoot growth
With its striking variegated leaves, the Dracaena Song of India offers a unique blend of colors. The contrast between the bright green centers and yellow edges adds vibrancy and depth to any indoor setting.
7. Rubber Plant
Botanical Name: Ficus elastica
- Large, broad leaves
- Dark green to burgundy, with a glossy finish
- Encourages bushiness with regular pruning
The Rubber Plant exudes luxury with its large, shiny leaves. Whether you choose the dark green or burgundy variety, this plant stands out as a bold, architectural statement.
Botanical Name: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis
- Dark green, oval to lance-shaped
- Sometimes with toothed margins
- Pruning after flowering encourages bushier growth
Hibiscus plants are the epitome of tropical allure. Their dark green leaves form a lush backdrop for the exotic, colorful blooms, creating a visual spectacle when in bloom.
9. Umbrella Tree
Botanical Name: Schefflera arboricola
- Lanceolate leaflets forming an umbrella shape
- Glossy, dark green or variegated
- Can be pruned aggressively to maintain a bushy form
The Umbrella Tree, with its glossy, dark leaves, is as eye-catching as it is lush. Its umbrella-like clusters of leaves provide a dense, voluminous look, adding life and vitality to your indoor space.