The bacon is one of the loveliest and most popular birds in Vietnam. With its distinctive features and personality, the bacon has always attracted the attention of many bird lovers. In this article, we will learn about the bacon and the things not to be missed when raising a babbler.
Babblers belong to the order Sparrow with many types. They usually live in tropical areas like Southeast Asia. According to scientists, the babbler is thought to have appeared on Earth about 10 million years ago. However, information about the origin and evolution of this bird is still poorly understood.
- The babbler is a small bird, about 10 – 12.5 cm long and weighing about 9-12 grams.
- They are dark gray-brown above and white below, with a dark brown spot on the top of the head.
- The babbler is characterized by short legs, a straight bill, and a short tail. They also have very short wings, which makes them look a bit fat and round.
Babblers have a rich and diverse habitat, most preferred in the tropics. They live mainly in mangroves, deciduous forests, pine forests, dense forests, scrublands and sparsely scrubbed areas. In Vietnam, most of them will be found in the South Central region, very little in the Northern region.
Reproduction of the babbler
The breeding season of this bird takes place from April to June every year. Male birds will create melodies to attract female birds. Once the male and female have identified a partner, the male will provide food for the female and care for the nest to attract and retain a partner.
Babblers usually lay 2-7 eggs per litter. The incubation period lasts from 12-15 days and the female is responsible for incubating the eggs. Newly hatched babblers will be weak and have to depend entirely on their parents for nourishment and protection. The chicks will need about 2-3 weeks to grow up enough to be able to fly and leave the nest.
Some criteria for choosing a good babbler breed
Each breed of bird has a different shape, you should choose the babbler with the following appearance:
- The first part: small and long, the beak is slim because these are considered wise birds and learn to sing quite quickly.
- Eyes: the most beautiful babbler will have yellow eyes, pomegranate seeds; next comes red and finally brown.
- The tail: should choose a bird with a large, long and hard tail.
- Legs: legs need to have enough nails, straight, big to create a strong and healthy feeling.
According to the experience of longtime birders, the bacon will have 2 sounds, Tho and Kim. The Earth sound will have a low voice, while the metal sound will resonate. If they are true birders, they will be very strict in choosing their singing voice, they will choose birds with a Kim Tho mixed voice, that is, a voice that has a high resonance but also has a certain level of bass. Often people will hear the song of this bird like the sound of wind or running water.
A good bird, in addition to singing beautifully, must be accompanied by gestures that show health and professionalism like a performer on stage, through flapping wings, spreading tails and rhythmic movements. Do not choose tired, lethargic, low-moving babblers!
The choice of a good babbler breed depends on the preferences of each person and what your purpose of raising the bird is. Therefore, before deciding to buy a babbler, you need to thoroughly research information about this bird to be able to make the right decision and bring satisfaction in keeping your bird. We hope that the sharing we have given can help you choose the best breed for you.